Monday, December 27, 2004

EVA Ad on Times Page Doesn't Fly

This banner on the right-hand side of the Times advertising home page is by EVA Airlines, a Taiwan aircarrier. This ad is not animated--this is the only image for it. They expect you to click on this. I had to click on this it was SO bad so that I could find out whom to critique. It's EXPENSIVE to put a banner on a Times sub-section home page, and I would have to imagine the click through rate for this ad could be much better if they better communicated what they are offering.

My recommendations:
1) Simplify the message; there are too many images overlapping each other
2) Choose a message: let me know why I should click on this banner, such as "I can fly to Taiwan on EVA" or EVA is offering a sale on flights to Asia. Currently, they say "Booking, Buying, and Extra Mileage Bonuses!" Of course there is booking and buying online, otherwise, there wouldn't be a point of haivng a web site. So, that info is useless. Extra mileage? What do I care about that if I don't even know where they fly? I would recommend a brand awareness campaign. The message is: if you want to fly Asia, EVA is the best for it. EVA needs to be in big letters, not in small print like it is at the bottom.
3) The colors for EVA appear to be green and red; they should emphasize those colors and "brand the banner" so that at least if the visitor to the Times doesn't click on the banner, they take with them the brand experience. They also use orange...even on their site, it's hard to tell what their official colors are.


No comments: